Making Lemonade


This weekend I needed to make lemonade, but not the kind your thinking!  Yes, on a hot day, a tall glass of lemonade can sooth the parched throat and sweeten the day.  This was a warm, summer-like weekend, but what I really needed was new perspective.  How could "lemonade" help find a new perspective? 

As a kid, when the going got rough, my Mom would say, "Make lemonade."  Of course, she was referring to the saying, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."  This has stuck with me over the years.  It may sound trite, but in every situation, we can look for the good.  We can choose to see the good and focus on the blessings.

As I struggled this weekend with a sick baby, an out-of-town Daddy, grumpy kids and a mommy who was not feeling so good, I tried to look for the good.  Not every moment went so well, for the "sugar" was sometimes in short supply.  Here's what I came up with for our weekend situation:
  1. We are so blessed to have modern medicine to take care of our little guy's ear infection. 
  2. I am beyond grateful for all the help and support from extended family.  Grandparents are a joy and I'm so glad they were there for my children's soccer games this weekend!
  3. I am so glad that my hubby got the opportunity for a weekend retreat.  When we miss him this much, we know how very special he is to us. 
  4. Yes, grumpy moments came for the kids and for mommy, but so did very special, sweet moments.  I'm going to choose to remember the sweet moments.
"Making lemonade" out of difficult situations can be hard, but it is worthwhile.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 directs us to "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  In every situation, we have the choice of how we are going to approach it. 

In the little moments and in the large life trials, we have a choice.  How will we approach this small bump or large mountain?  Even when "making lemonade" is hard, God can and will give us the grace to rejoice in every situation.  We can seek his face and find a way to give thanks.  Can you find something to give thanks for in your challenging situation?  Do you have any special moments when you were able to "make lemonade" and it changed your perspective?


~ photos courtesy of Wikipedia

Popular posts from this blog

To Share, Or Not To Share . . . . .

Does Perspective Really Matter?

Igniting My Re-imagined Dream - How I am embracing the past, living life to the fullest and hoping for the best.

Another day, another pair of dirty socks!

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts

The Conclusions of Why We Didn’t Sue Our Physician

Why We Didn't Sue the Doctor, Part 2 of the Journey

Family Vacation from February