Remembering . . . from a different perspective

I, like most every American remember 9/11/2001.  I remember the shock, the horror, the sadness and the fear.  It rocked the entire country.  Today is a day of remembrance for all those who lost lives. 

This summer, I have seen that day through different eyes.  In July, I began reading Laura Bush's autobiography, Spoken from the Heart.   I have slowly savored her words and story all summer long.   Her insights and perspective have challenged me. She has given me a glimpse into realms that I cannot even begin to fathom. 

It was amazing to see her perspective of that day and the long days that followed.  While her life was forever changed and she and her family lived in the terrible wake of that day, what amazed me the most was that she constantly strove to see others' perspective.  She met with people.  She listened to their stories.  She cared.  Her story gave me insight that has changed the way that I think about this and other tragedies.

I have learned so much from her story.  I am grateful for the opportunity to see things though her eyes.  One of my favorite quotes from the book comes from one of her many trips to other countries.  While it is not directly related to the September 11th attacks, I wish to leave you with the thought because it impacted me so greatly.   President George W. Bush and Laura Bush stopped to visit a school in 2008  during their visit to Rwanda.  Laura remembers this:

"As we left the school, we saw a group of teenagers waiting outside to greet us.  One had a sign, 'God is Good.'  George nodded and said, 'God is good.'  And these teenage children replied, in unison, 'All the time.'  To suffer as they have suffered, with genocide, disease, and poverty, and to still believe 'God is good.  All the time'!"
~ from Spoken from the Heart
   by Laura Bush

Popular posts from this blog

To Share, Or Not To Share . . . . .

Does Perspective Really Matter?

Igniting My Re-imagined Dream - How I am embracing the past, living life to the fullest and hoping for the best.

Another day, another pair of dirty socks!

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts

The Conclusions of Why We Didn’t Sue Our Physician

Why We Didn't Sue the Doctor, Part 2 of the Journey

Family Vacation from February