Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Words to live by Wednesday - A Cheerful Heart

"A joyful heart is good medicine,
But a broken spirit dries up the bones."
~ Proverbs 17:22

Did it ever occur to you that a joyful heart is a decision?  Hmmm . . . . confession time . . . . "in clearing out the clutter", I have come to realize that I have not been choosing a joyful heart lately.  I was confessing to a dear friend, and she gave me some great advice.  She told me to take a break from the things that I was letting weigh me down and choose to do something fun with my family.  It was just that simple.  I came downstairs and chose a fun activity for myself and the boys.  Hugs, kisses and laughter were the balm that I needed today.  Now, I know that choosing a joyful heart is a daily (hourly) choice, so now I get to go forth and choose to be joyful.  Good advice from a dear friend - choose joyfulness.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Hooray for you and the family! Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses...even when there is laundry to do!

Alice Lynn Alfred said...

Yes, I am learning this more and more....that I have to decide to focus on the goodness the Lord has brought into my life, or allow my naturally negative self to take over....:>( Much better to choose JOY!!

Annie Kate said...

What a great idea! I try to build fun things into our lives, but occasionally I need to work more at being cheerful, too. It's part of "rejoice always"....

Annie Kate

Karen Dawkins said...

I used to think that if I woke up in a bad mood that I'd be hostage to that mood all day. Big, fat, hairy lie!!! And I fell for it.

I've since learned that my moods are captive to my savior. Through Jesus I have the power to change my focus and reset the course of the day!

My blog is subtitled "Destination Joy." I hope it's where I end up -- and where you end up -- each and every day!

God bless. Keep choosing joy!