A "Thank You" Letter


January 22, 2019

I struggled to write the same post for over a month.  Then, tired of the struggle, I quit writing.  Last week, a letter that brewed in my head for years came spilling out in a matter of hours.  The time was right to say these words.  I mailed it the next morning, so if there are any typos, I would prefer to remain in the dark about them for now! 

Blessing,


Christine



January 15, 2019


Dear Mrs. Beth Moore,

                I sit here today with a copy of your book “Praying God’s Word” beside me.  Once again, God is operating through your words and ministry to refine my faith and develop my trust in Him. Thank you for allowing God to work through you.  I deeply appreciate your willingness to trust him and allow your name and reputation to daily face the fire from the enemy in order to strengthen, enlighten and edify members of the body of Christ.  Thank you for your dedication to deep study of God’s word and delving even deeper by the continual application to daily life.  Your willingness to transparently share your struggles over the years helps me see that my failures and shortcomings do not have to define me, but can be refined through God’s grace, mercy and a lifetime of seeking his will and way. This thank you letter and an explanation of how God specifically used your words in my life have been working through my mind and heart for a few years now.

God first used your words to teach me through multiple Bible Studies that I was blessed to take part in through our church’s women’s ministry at First Baptist Church of Glen Este.  Through our women’s ministry, I enjoyed the privilege of attending a conference here in Cincinnati A few years ago. That weekend in Cincinnati provided a unique backdrop for a Christian conference.  The funeral for a fallen local police officer took place shortly before the first meeting.  Then, on the second day, a “Pride Parade” wound through the streets of Cincinnati and outside the doors of the U.S. Bank Arena where we met on Broadway Street in the heart of downtown Cincinnati. Our hearts and minds sensed the current of turbulence and turmoil, and we came prepared to hear what the Lord had for us during these unstable times.    

To the best of my memory, the majority of the conference focused on spiritual healing and breaking the spiritual bonds that hold us. Nearing the end of the lessons on the second day, you shared also of God’s power for physical healing. What began as a powerful and spiritual time for me, left me raw and open, questioning the lesson. During the last intermission, two friends seated close to me shared some amazing stories of when God worked miraculously in their lives. Then, I opened my heart and revealed the question nagging at my heart. “What about when God chooses NOT to heal?” I told them of the time when my brother was struck by a car at the end of the last day of school.  Why did God not heal then?  People prayed for his recovery.  Why did God choose to heal in some circumstances and not in others?  They cried with me and shared their own concerns.  It was a bonding time between sisters in Christ as we faced the realities of living in a sin filled and sin scarred world.  What came next showed us God’s power and might.

You came out for what was supposed to “just” be the alter call.  You instead sat down on a stool and revealed that God had prompted you to share part of your family history that you had never shared before. You paralleled the Bible story of the Shunamite woman and the miraculous healing of her son and the loss of your own sister in law in a very similar health condition.  Your raw honesty and sensitivity to God’s prompting allowed my heart to be touched and a part of me healed that had been hurting and questioning for nearly twenty years.  We stood amazed knowing that the same God who abode with us while we conversed during the break also spoke to you at the same time back behind the scenes.  Who knows how many people had similar conversations of questions on their hearts?  I don’t know, but I know that God does know. He heard each of our concerns and sent you to give us a direct and specific answer.  I honestly do not remember most of the words you said that day, but I remember the spirit of love, caring and concern that went with me and fueled me many days and weeks after. At the time I contemplated writing you and thanking you for following God’s leading that day.  The memory of it has often touched me and I have rehearsed what I would say to you, but it is only now that I sit down to finish what started years ago.

Many things changed over the last few years.  My children have grown older, wiser and our oldest son entered into the teenage years.  We continue to face the challenges of life, knowing that our God is a powerful God who loves us intimately. While my children have grown, my health has steadily declined.  My childhood asthma grew into what my doctor originally believed was severe eosinophilic asthma.  We sought treatments for that for as long as they helped, but eventually they quit “helping”.  Late in June of 2018, I rushed to seek medical care after I began coughing up blood.  After a few days in the hospital and many tests, I was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer.  It was an excruciating time for our immediate and extended family and for me personally. At the hardest time of my life, I felt the palpable presence of God daily.  We watched as God provided miracles and we learned that I am a candidate for a new targeted treatment for a very specific type of genetic lung cancer.  We watched as the radiation treatments shrank my tumors and allowed my left lung to reopen last summer. Then, after three months of taking the targeted treatment pills, the tumors diminished even further, to the point that they are “gone” for now.  I continue taking this medication daily, thanking God for the new medication that provides relief for me today and gives our family time together.  We do not know how long this medication will hold back the cancer, but we thank God that it is working now.

While God has been healing my body on this earth and providing a miracle for our family, we watched as another man’s health declined.  Eugene, a member of our church, was diagnosed about a year before me with Stage IV Lung cancer.  Unfortunately (even though he is a little younger than me), none of the new treatments worked well on his body and he passed away last week.  His faith and testimony during this time amazed not just me, but the whole body of our church.  Yet, I think now, why me?  Why did God not give Eugene more time?  I also wonder, how long will God give me? When will I too, like Eugene, no longer walk on this earth, but step into heaven, leaving my dear family behind?

                These questions haunt my thoughts while I daily work to raise our three boys while trying to live a life that seeks Christ and his will, no matter the outcome.  Recently, a dear friend spoke truth to me (as I have been deeply entrenched in the work of helping our sixteen-year-old through his own difficulties) that “I must stop trying to be God for him”.  That proclamation changed the way I interact with him but also set me up for a deep revelation when I began “Praying God’s Word” after receiving it as a Christmas gift from my mother.  After reading the introduction, I pondered jumping to the addiction chapter. I spent at least years eating too much in order to try to “feel better” as my ability to breath, exercise and function declined.  As a result, I now need to focus on eating well and fueling my body instead of using food as a comfort and crutch.  In the quiet of the moment, a still small voice told me to “start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.”  Although the voice did sound an awful lot like Julie Andrews’ voice and follow the tune of “Do-re-mi” from “The Sound of Music”, I know that the message was from God.

                I began reading the chapter about Overcoming Idolatry, believing that I had no (or at least no major) idols to speak of.  Instead, God laid out clearly that I had taken him off the throne and put many other things in HIS place.  My eyes were squarely placed on my problems and like Peter, I was quickly sinking.  Just in a few days, the revelation has opened my eyes and heart and prepared me for what God has for me to learn next.  While I do not know what tomorrow holds, I thankfully and blessedly do know the ONE who does!  And I know that the peace of God will keep me and my family through the days, months and years to come.

                Thank you for your continual heart of ministry.  Thank you for following Christ as your own waves crash around you.  Thank you for living a life of redemption and sharing it so that others, like me, can see the light of Christ.  Thank you for sharing of a redeemer who loves of and cleanses us, no matter what our past looks like. I look to the future with hope and yearning, knowing that one day our trials and tribulations will be traded in for the glory and majesty of heaven. Until that day, thank you for taking a stand for Christ in a world that does not show respect for those that choose to stand for him.


With love, respect and a grateful heart,

Christine Ressler


Popular posts from this blog

To Share, Or Not To Share . . . . .

Does Perspective Really Matter?

Igniting My Re-imagined Dream - How I am embracing the past, living life to the fullest and hoping for the best.

Another day, another pair of dirty socks!

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts

The Conclusions of Why We Didn’t Sue Our Physician

Why We Didn't Sue the Doctor, Part 2 of the Journey

Family Vacation from February